Sunday 4 November 2007

A picture may paint a thousand words...


..but words are still more my thing. I love Shakespeare, sending postcards plus of course I write for a living (even if most ads these days only consist of a headline, it's still a lovingly crafted headline!)

So when I came across the idea of a ketubah for the first time, it really appealed. Nobody in my life is Jewish, so I had no idea what one was wasn't until I came across pictures of them in a US wedding magazine.
For the similarly uninitiated, a ketubah record the details of a wedding (like the date and names of bride and groom) and outlines the groom’s obligations - financial and conjugal - to his bride. Traditionally, the ketubah doesn't have to be signed by the couple, just by two witnesses.
What struck me is how beautiful these sacred documents are. Stunning works of art that serve as a gorgeous way to remember your special day.

So despite the fact that Barry and I having a Christian ceremony, I'd like to adapt the ketubah idea into part of our day. With an intimate destination wedding of 60 guests, I'd like to have our vows written in calligraphy and then ask everyone present to sign as witness to what we've pledged.

There's an amazing calligrapher in my hometown of Auckland. Her name is Alison Furminger and her work is modern yet classically elegant. Just perfect for the occasion. I've posted an example of her work above. Also check her out at www.alisonfurminger.com

I sent her an email tonight- here's hoping it fits into our budget, because I think it's a sweet idea that would make a perfect momento of our day.

PS: Here's some Kiwi trivia for you. The artwork of Alison's that I've posted is actually a Christmas Card. "Te Harinui" is an old New Zealand hymn recalling the events of the first Christian service in New Zealand conducted by the Reverend Samuel Marsden at Oihi, Bay of Islands on Christmas Day 1814. Te Harinui is translated "Glad Tidings of Great Joy.

Oh, and those red flowers are called Pohutukawas. They only come out round December, so we like to call them 'New Zealand's Christmas Tree'. Don't say I never teach you anything!

No comments: